Sunday, September 14, 2014

Weekend Mall Trip

Shopping At The Mall:

There are many reasons to make a trip to the mall. I make a trip to the mall more frequently because I live so close to it and I have several reasons to visit besides to shop. I pay bills at the mall to satisfy debts of past shopping experiences. I will also go to the Walmart in the mall to locate better deals and discounts on food items that I do not normally find in the local supermarket. The mall also offers eye brow threading which I stop in to get when I need to maintain my appearance and personal hygiene. An entire Sunday could be spent in the mall when I want to take my son to an indoor playground and the weather is bad. I also occasionally use the children’s barber shop by the Sears department store for his hair cuts. My son Dante also really loves the big indoor fish pond, and last time he had a haircut he enjoyed a lollipop while watching the fish swim. Another one of my favorite things to do at the mall is have lunch in the food court with friends. I feel that the food court is a social spot that has a variety of lunch and dinner choices. I did notice that the prices are a little expensive but it is the convenience and location of the food court that makes it popular. I do not always have the extra money to go shopping, but when I do I head to the local mall for all my shopping needs. The mall is a fun and social place, has so much to offer, and I enjoy my time there with my son Dante on occasional weekends.




***WORDS TO LEARN***
1. Frequently- often, repeated, something that is done all of the time
/ˈfrēkwəntlē/ (adverb)

2. Several- more than one of something, but not many, having a few
/sev(ə)rəl/ (pronoun)

3. Satisfy- to fulfill (a desire or need), to meet the needs of something. To gratify the requirements of something.
/ˈsatisˌfī/ (verb)

4. Locate- to find a place, to discover the position of.
/ˈlōˌkāt,lōˈkāt/ (verb)


5. Maintain- to keep something the same, to stay without changing, sustain, continue, support.
 /mānˈtān/ (verb)

6. Occasionally- sometimes, now and then, every so often, infrequently, once and a while, on ocassion.
/əˈkāZHənl-ē/ (adverb)

7. Variety- different, diverse, variation of something
/vəˈrīətē/ (noun)

8. Convenience- something done easily, something that takes little effort, simple to do
/kənˈvēnyəns/ (noun)


Practice:
Choose from the words above. The word that best completes each sentence.

1. Some people eat healthy in order to __________ their good health.
(hint: People who are healthy will try to support their good health)

2. Many people will _______________ an address by using a GPS device instead of a map.
(hint: When someone has not been somewhere before they need to find the place some how)

3. You may find a good coupon _____________ that will make a sale item even cheaper.
(hint: It does not happen often that a sale item will be discounted even more)

4. Many holiday shoppers will go to the mall ____________ during the holiday season.
(hint: Some may return repeatedly to the mall before they are done with their holiday shopping)

5. There is a _____________ of shoes to pick from when you are in the Macy's shoe department.
(hint: Everyone has a different fashion sense and may need many options to find what is right for them)

6. When you are feeling tired of walking the mall all day you may need to stop at Starbucks to____________ a need for some coffee.
(hint: Many people need caffeine to fulfill their need for more energy)

7. There are __________ clothing stores in the mall but there are also jewelry stores, shoe stores, and restaurants.
(hint: Shoppers have a few good options to find the outfit they are looking for.)

8. Shoppers will use the______________ of the elevator instead of the stairs because there are so many stores to visit on three different floors.
(hint: Elevators are an easy and quick way to get to multiple stores in less time. They are simple to locate and use.)

The mall is a social place which has several cultural aspects; to learn more check out this article on the subject;

http://www.canberra.edu.au/media-centre/2012/august/shopping-malls

Grammar point; What do you think a verb is? A verb is a part of speech that describes an action. Examples: run, walk, stand, sit, bring, offer, carry.

Exercise: Read the paragraph above (print paragraph) and circle all of the verbs I used. Can you write a paragraph about a shopping trip you have taken that includes at least 10 verbs?

No comments:

Post a Comment