Sunday, October 5, 2014

HALLOWEEN FOR ME

              The month of October is a very exciting month. I personally celebrate my wedding anniversary and original dating anniversary in this month. But after all my romantic celebrations, one of my favorite holidays arrives, Halloween! I absolute love dressing up and being someone new. I try to dress as something that does not relate to me. I like to be different because that is who I am normally. Not everyone enjoys Halloween because they do not appreciate scary things. I love to be frightened because I like to be brave. I am very courageous in places such as haunted houses and terrifying corn mazes. 
              Pumpkin flavored items are common during the month of October and who doesn't like a unique flavor once in a while? I believe that apples taste best when you pick them yourself. Sadly I have never been able to go and participate in that activity yet. Pumpkin picking is traditional too and carving them is a wonderful family activity. I think two fantastic aspects of Halloween are the costume parties and contests. I like being able to see all the interesting and imaginative costume ideas that others create. I also use my creative side when ever I make my own costume or decorate my home for Halloween. I have purchased costumes before but I like to invent costumes as well. I do a good amount of explaining when I choose to do that, but I don't mind because it makes a great topic for conversation. I am happy to have so many children in my life because trick or treating is both fun and rewarding. I have a serious love for candy and I almost always bring my own "trick or treat bucket". I enjoy Halloween the most because dressing up, being crafty, and eating candy are some of my favorite things to do. Not every part of the world celebrates Halloween the way Americans do, some do not celebrate at all. 
                                                              
                                                 

1. Exciting (ikˈsīdiNG)- causing eagerness and a desire to do something. Thrilling and very inviting. Adjective.

2. Anniversary (ˌanəˈvərs(ə)rē)- an important date. A day that a couple was married in a previous year. Noun.

3. Celebrations (ˌseləˈbrāSH(ə)ns)- an enjoyable social activity where people enjoy a holiday or important event together. Plural noun.

4. Courageous (kəˈrājəs)- to be brave, not afraid, not fearful of some thing scary. Adjective.

5. Terrifying (ˈterəˌfīng)- something that causes great fear. Very scary or frightening. Verb.

6. Participate (pärˈtisəˌpāt)- to be a part of something. To join in or take part in an activity. Verb.

7. Traditional (trəˈdiSH(ə)n(ə)l)- a custom, a ritual, something that has been done repeatedly over a long period of time. Adjective.

8. Imaginative (iˈmaj(ə)nədiv)- a quality of a person having to do with being creative. Inventiveness. Adjective.

9. Rewarding (rəˈwôrdiNG)- something that is productive and fulfilling. Benificial and provides self satisfaction. Adjective.

10. Crafty (ˈkraftē)- to be good at making decorative items and other things by hand. To be skillful at art. Adjective.


For practice draw a line form the definition to the word:

1.To join in or take part in an activity.                                                                Exciting

2. Very scary or frightening.                                                                                Crafty

3. Good at making decorative items by hand.                                                      Rewarding

4. A custom or a ritual.                                                                                         Terrifying

5.  An enjoyable social activity where people enjoy a holiday                            Anniversary

6. Something productive and fulfilling.                                                                Celebrations

7. Not fearful of some thing scary.                                                                        Imaginative

8. Thrilling and very inviting                                                                                 Participate

9. A day that a couple was married.                                                                       Courageous

10. Inventiveness.                                                                                                   Traditional

Halloween is a fun and exciting holiday and can be very enjoyable. Some cultures don't celebrate Halloween and others have different traditions around the world. To find out more about Halloween check out this article:  http://www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/halloweenglobal.php

Grammar Point:Most people know a noun to be a person, place ,or thing. But a noun can also be an idea. For example an Anniversary is a noun but it isn't something you can touch, it is just an idea. There are also different kinds of nouns. There are count nouns which are things that can be counted. (ex. pumpkins or celebrations) and mass nouns can not be counted (ex.corn).

Exercise:
Can you make your own list of nouns and include 3 nouns that are ideas, 3 count nouns, and 3 mass nouns? What other types of nouns are you familiar with? Look up the word "noun" and give me the name and definition of a different kind of noun that I used in the paragraph above. Example: Proper noun.









2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! I am glad that you like Halloween. Some immigrants and strict Christians do not like the holiday and do not celebrate it. Some keep their children home from school. So when you are teaching, keep that in mind.

    Remember to include a grammar point and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love Halloween :) I always try to keep things "kid friendly" and politically correct. I usually lean ideas toward fall celebrations and dress-up fun. I know many cultures choose not to celebrate this holiday, but some do or might like to learn more about this holiday. Sometimes cultures celebrate the day as All Hallows' Eve or the day after, All Saints Day.Hopefully any conversation about this holiday will embrace unique differences of peers and allow students to practice tolerance for those who have different belief systems.

      Delete